Sunday, April 27, 2008

Why I Want a Wife


If you ever get the chance to read Judy Brady's article "Why I Want a Wife," do. Though it was written in 1971, the satire and criticism is still apt today. My students loved it, and I got a chance to positively describe the feminist movement to them. It is a little disturbing that what they know about feminism can be summed up in a couple of man-hating jokes. Many were surprised when I told them that men can be feminists, too.

Okay, so it wasn't as cool as when I showed them excerpts from the South Park movie on Thursday (tell your parents you were ANALYZING MODERN SATIRE, not watching South Park), but I think I've really got their attention now.

The next step: Get them to write their own satire. I'll let you know how it goes.


p.s. I started writing a long, bitter piece about teacher evaluation and then I decided that since this is a public domain, I'll save it for the school board meeting and stick to funny/heartwarming stuff as much as possible here.

p.p.s. Did I mention that I kinda want a wife? One that is really good at decluttering a 600 square foot apartment and can grade papers.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

One of my favorite teachers was Mrs.Evans, my 6th grade teacher. It was her last year of teaching, she was probably close to 60. She wore her black and gray hair in a bun. She was old. She started reading all of the award winning books to us, and I really got hooked on reading, and I still am. And I love to red to kids, and if I had an adult to read to I woul do that too. WhenI went over seas I had a history teacher, M. Marais, who read to us seniors every day. The book was called Treblinka. It took him the entire year to get through the book. I loved it. Oh, after Mrs. Evans finished that year we used to bike over to hr house and hang out with her. Imagine that, a 60 year old lady! We loved her. That was one of my favorite teachers. She is a part of who I am today, and who you are for that matter. Because a little of you comes from me. I love you!